There are currently no vaccines for COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself is to avoid
situations in which you may be exposed to the virus. Everyday actions can help protect you and
prevent the spread of respiratory diseases such as COVID-19.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Restrict any activities outside your home and maintain a safe distance (around 6 feet)
between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This
includes avoiding crowded areas, shopping malls, religious gatherings, public
- Wear simple cloth face coverings in public settings (like grocery stores and pharmacies)
where social distancing is difficult, especially in areas where COVID-19 is spreading.
- Stay home when you are sick, unless you are seeking medical care.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces (including tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water aren’t available. Always wash hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.